4 out of 5 Mountains Agree
3 October ’17
The mountains let me know that leaving today is a good idea. Ice – not frost, but ice – on the motorcycle and ground this morning. I’m officially calling it. 2-6 inches of snow in all the CO passes, and high temps of 40 for the next 4 days across CO, UT, and ID.
Waiting until the sun melts it off a bit, hitting the UPS store with a box of things I don’t want to take on the plane and wont fit on the bike, and then I’m heading home. I’m shipping the bike home from Denver and catching a cheap flight tomorrow at 6pm, home in bed by 10pm. When all is said and done, it will only cost me $100 more to do this (and be home in my own bed by tomorrow night!) than spend 5-6 days on the road freezing my buns off, dodging black ice, and avoiding wind.
I’m ok with this. I’ve had a really awesome adventure, and while I wish I had the time to come home via “The Southern Route” I have 2 international trips coming up in the next 6 months (NZ and now UK!) in addition to the winter holiday break at the end of Dec.. plenty of time for more long expeditions.